The holiday season is busy and stressful, and all of that can show on our faces. We forget to drink enough water, forget to put on sunscreen, over-indulge on bad food and dehydrating alcohol, dont get enough sleep, and of course, stress out. Needless to say, the holidays can be a wrinkle-forming time.
There are a number of ways you can prevent major damage to your skin during the holiday season (heres a link to a few weve already discussed), but what do you do if the damage is already done? How can you reduce the appearance of wrinkles if youve already got them? Here are a few options to help you:
1. Quit Smoking Immediately. Within 12 hours of quitting, your blood oxygen levels will start returning to normal, which means your blood can bring nourishing oxygen to your skin cells. You will notice your skin looks younger and more vibrant. In the long-term, twin studies have shown that the twin who does not smoke has less wrinkles and 40% thicker skin than the twin that does.
2. Start Sleeping On Your Back. Sleeping on your side can cause cheek/chin wrinkles, and sleeping on your stomach can cause wrinkles on the brow.
3. Chemical Peels. A chemical peel is the application of a liquid treatment that removes the upper layer of damaged skin in a particular area of the face (or the whole face, if thats the treatment you select). Chemical peels reveal younger-looking skin, and can be adjusted in strength depending on your needs.
4. Dont Wash Your Face Too Much. Over-washing will strip your skin of its natural oils, which keep your face hydrated and reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Over-washing makes your skin dry and more susceptible to damage from free radicals. Stick to a water-only rinse in the morning, and washing with a gentle cleanser at night.
5. Switch Up Your Skin Care. Introduce skin care products that contain alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) or Retin-A. Both products remove the uppermost layer of dead skin cells, which reduces the look of fine lines and wrinkles (and can also be used to treat acne). Your aesthetician or plastic surgeon can recommend specific anti-aging skin care products to you, based on your needs.
6. Botox Treatments. Botox is a simple and quick injection of a protein that relaxes the muscles that cause wrinkle formation. If you squint frequently, youve probably developed a furrow between your brows. The skin wrinkles because the muscle underneath is wrinkling all the time. Botox will relax the muscle, unwrinkling it and therefore unwrinkling the skin above it. It can also help prevent future wrinkle formation.
7. BroadBand Light Therapy (BBL/IPL). BBL, also known as a photofacial, uses intense pulsed light to remove damaged skin, generate new skin growth and repair, and stimulate collagen growth. Collagen is the protein that gives our skin firmness, so its growth will help reduce the appearance of fine lines.
8. Laser Resurfacing. Laser resurfacing uses a laser to remove the upper layer of damaged skin revealing the fresher, younger-looking skin beneath it. This will immediately reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, as well as stimulating collagen production to create smoother, firmer skin.
9. Dermal Fillers. Dermal fillers are a simple injection of a selected substance into deep wrinkles or sunken areas of the face. The fillers fill in the sunken wrinkle, erasing its appearance. This is a popular choice for wrinkles that run from the nose to the mouth, or the mouth to the chin. Like Botox, dermal fillers arent permanent and are a great option for when you want to avoid surgery.
10. Facelift. Facelifts are easily customizable- you can even select a mini-lift if youre not in need of a full facelift. Facelifts and mini-lifts are generally used to remove the appearance of drooping cheeks, jowls, and deep wrinkles around the mouth and chin. A facelift is the most aggressive treatment for aging, and your surgeon will help you decide if its the best option for you.
As you can tell, there are anti-aging options for all severities of fine lines and wrinkles, and treatments range from simple lifestyle changes to non-surgical options, to surgical options. Call our Northern Virginia offices at (703) 574-2588 to schedule a free consultation to explore your anti-wrinkle options.