Plastic Surgery Statistics
Some patients or potential patients find comfort and confidence in plastic surgery statistics. Knowing that there are others out there getting the same procedures around the country can reassure a patient that the medical community is no stranger to their needs and desired appearance. Here are a few plastic surgery statistics from 2011 that will shed some light on the state of plastic surgery today:
- The top five plastic surgeries performed in 2011 were (in descending order): liposuction, breast augmentation, tummy tuck, eyelid surgery, and breast lift.
- The top five non-surgical aesthetic procedures performed in 2011 were: Botox injections, dermal filler injections, laser hair removal, microdermabrasion, and IPL laser treatment.
- Over 9 million cosmetic procedures were performed last year, with 82 percent of those being non-surgical.
- Over 1.6 million surgical procedures were performed in 2011.
- From 2010-2011, there was a 13 percent increase in the number of liposuction procedures performed.
- There has been a 197 percent increase in the number of cosmetic procedures performed annually since 1997, with surgical procedures increasing 73 percent.
- Women had over 91 percent of the cosmetic procedures performed last year.
- Men still had over 800,000 cosmetic procedures in 2011, a 121 percent jump since 1997.
- The top five plastic surgeries performed for men in 2011 were: liposuction, rhinoplasty (nose job), breast reduction for male breast enlargement issues, and face lifts.
- In 2011, Americans spent over $10 billion on cosmetic procedures.
- Cosmetic procedures are most common among people aged 35-50, who account for 43 percent of cosmetic procedures performed in 2011.
- Patients of ethnic minorities comprise 21 percent of cosmetic procedures.
- In breast augmentation surgery, 31 percent of patients select saline implants and 69 percent select silicone implants.
- 2011 is the first time in three years that breast augmentation was not the most-often performed cosmetic surgery procedure.
- In the past 15 years, there has been a 340 percent increase in the number of tummy tucks performed each year.
- Since 1997, there has been a 540 percent increase in the number of breast lifts performed each year in the United States.
- 22 percent of breast augmentations performed last year were to correct tubular breast deformity, and 17 percent were performed to correct severe asymmetry.
As you can see from these national plastic surgery statistics, more and more people are considering cosmetic procedures (both surgical and non-surgical) to correct the signs of aging and to give them the body they desire.
All statistics are from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Visit our cosmetic surgery page for more information on plastic surgery procedures for men or women and to view 3D animations.
If you’re interested in coming into our Northern Virginia plastic surgery practice for a consultation, call (703) 574-2588 or click here to set up a consultation.
Follow NOVA Plastic Surgery on Twitter and Facebook