When Should You Consider Dermal Fillers
Over time, the natural aging process in combination with life events and exposures can lead to loss of fat and fullness. This might sound desirable, but it can create a skeletal appearance that leaves men and women alike feeling self-conscious about the way they look. If you’ve ever noticed that you can see the orbital socket around your eyes or your cheeks look sunken in, dermal fillers might be the right treatment for you.
What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are injectable substances that restore volume and fullness in the skin, smoothing out wrinkles and creating a more youthful appearance. They can be used in a number of areas in the face, including under the eyes and in your lips, cheeks, and nasolabial folds.
There are a number of dermal fillers on the market, and not all are created equal. Each filler provides some benefits over others and each comes with some disadvantages, making the selection of the right filler an important task for your provider. The most common fillers used today include Restylane®, Restylane Silk®, Perlane®, Juvederm®, Voluma®, Belotero®, and Radiesse®.
Dermal fillers provide long-lasting results, but patients do need to keep up with treatment if they like their results because the body metabolizes the filler over a period of months and sometimes up to a year.
When is it time to consider dermal fillers?
Every patient is different, patients have shared some common reasons for scheduling their consultation appointment to discuss dermal fillers in Northern Virginia. It might be time to consider dermal fillers if:
- You have shadows under your eyes. Genetics, the natural aging process, fatigue, and weight loss can all contribute to notable loss of fat under your eyes, which creates shadows and a sunken, skeletal appearance. Dermal fillers simply restore fullness in the area to remove definition from the orbital socket and restore a youthful appearance, helping you feel more comfortable in your skin.
- You feel self-conscious about thin lips. We’ve found that whether a patient has always had thin lips or volume was lost over time, many patients desire fuller lips. Dermal fillers simply increase the volume of the lips to produce fullness and youthfulness.
- Your cheeks have sunken in. Many of our clients report that after losing weight, fighting a chronic illness, or simply getting older, their cheeks seem to have “sunken in,” creating a skeletal, aged appearance that doesn’t match the way they feel and the way they want to look. Dermal fillers injected into the cheeks, under the cheekbones, can restore fullness and eliminate the sunken appearance that lost fat sometimes creates.
- You have facial creases and wrinkles. As the volume of fat under the surface of your skin is reduced, sometimes with age, weight loss, or illness, excess skin on the surface begins to wrinkle and crease. By restoring the volume under the skin with dermal fillers, you can smooth wrinkled skin on the surface. This is especially helpful for nasolabial folds (smile lines extending from your nose around the outer corners of your mouth).
- You want to correct abnormal contour. Sometimes illnesses, accidents, surgeries, and congenital conditions can interfere with the natural contours of your face, causing sunken areas or an uneven contour. Dermal fillers are often used to restore the appearance after a life event causes changes.
- You’re self-conscious and want to feel confident in your appearance again. Perhaps the most important reason to seek out dermal fillers is that you simply don’t feel good in your skin. Many people start to feel hesitant that they won’t look their best when going on a date, presenting in front of a group, or standing in front of the camera. A desire to feel good in their skin is the leading reason patients visit NOVA Plastic Surgery.
Dermal fillers aren’t for every patient and every problem area, but they can be a great, noninvasive treatment to meet a wide variety of needs. To learn whether you’re a candidate for dermal fillers, schedule your no-obligation appointment at NOVA Plastic Surgery in Ashburn today.