When it comes to skincare, most of us are focused on our faces or our hands. These are where the signs of aging show up the most visibly, right? Age spots, wrinkles, fine lines, volume loss- all of these signs are associated with our faces and hands. In focusing on these spots, we sometimes neglect to care for the other spot that quickly shows signs of aging: our necks.
The skin of your neck is exposed to just as much sun and pollution as your face (unless you wear turtlenecks all day!), both of which break down collagen and elastin, the proteins that give your skin firmness and elasticity. Your neck doesnt make expressions, of course, but the daily actions of turning your head will cause lines in the skin of your neck over time, as will plain old gravity. Eventually, your neck can develop sagging (the dreaded turkey neck), cording, and deep lines. Here are a few tips for caring for the skin of your neck:
1. Extend your skincare routine down to your chest. When youre applying anti-aging moisturizers or sunscreen, apply from your hairline to the top of your breasts. The rubbing-in action will exfoliate the dead skin on your neck and chest, allowing the cream to be absorbed more effectively.
2. Switch to a skincare system with retinol. Retinol is an exfoliant that will encourage your skin to turn over the dead cells, revealing newer, younger-looking skin underneath. This reduces the appearance of fine lines and encourages collagen growth. The skin of the neck and chest is especially thin, so a little amount of product will go a long way.
3. Botox. Botox is especially useful for cording, where the muscles of the neck stand out under the skin and make your neck look thin and aged. Botox will relax those muscles, reducing the appearance of the cording.
4. Liposuction. If youve developed a turkey neck, where fat deposits have moved down into the neck and combined with sagging skin to create the appearance of loose skin, liposuction can help. Liposuction is the removal of excess fat, and in many cases, the skin will return to its original position. If the turkey neck look is too severe for liposuction, a neck lift can be done instead, which will involve the removal of any excess skin.
5. Laser resurfacing. Laser resurfacing removes the upper layer of the skin with a precise laser, causing a skin-tightening growth of collagen and reducing the look of fine lines. This is an excellent option for those who want to avoid incision-based surgery.
If you have any questions about skin care for the neck in Northern Virginia or would like to schedule a free consultation, please call our offices at (703) 574-2588.