We all know it: drinking more water is one of the simplest ways to revitalize your skin, especially in the winter. Indoor heat and cold winds are especially drying, and drinking plenty of water helps keep your skin plump and moist, and protects your skin from wrinkling and premature aging. So why dont we all drink as much water as were supposed to? Its easy to forget to do it, especially during the busy work week when were all constantly on the go. Here are a few tips to help you increase your water intake, and therefore protect and nourish your skin:
1. Drink a glass of water while your coffee is brewing or your tea is steeping. When you wake up in the morning, its been about eight hours since you had a glass of water. Start the day off right by drinking a glass of water while you wait for your morning cuppa to be ready. Its a simple way to sneak in some early-morning hydration.
2. Carry around a water bottle. Invest in a glass or stainless steel one that wont break in your purse or leak all over your stuff. Having water on hand constantly will mean you can reach for it whenever you think of it, or when you get thirsty, instead of running to the vending machine for a soda.
3. Dont buy other beverages. Soda, sports drinks, juice- these are all high in sugar and can be dehydrating, which will make your skin look worse. Just dont buy them- then when youre thirsty youll reach for water because itll be all you have.
4. Serve water with dinner, even if youre also serving wine or other drinks. Having it there will make it easy to take a few sips between the salad and the main course. Its also smart to drink a glass of water before your meal- itll fill you up so you wont be as hungry, and help keep you hydrated throughout the rest of the evening.
5. Set a reminder on your smartphone. Everyone has smart phones these days, and even if you dont most phones come with an alarm function. Set it to go off every hour on the hour, and drink a glass of water when you hear it.
Drinking more water will have a wonderful effect on your skin. Fine lines and wrinkles will fill in a bit, youll get back a glow (one youll not see on many people in the winter time), and your skin wont be as dry and itchy because its properly hydrated.
If you have any questions about skin care, please call our Northern Virginia offices at (703) 574-2588.