There are cosmetic procedures to fix almost any issue with your body that youre unhappy about, from ears that stick out too far to breasts that have lost volume after childbearing to fat you want removed from around your knees. Theres no reason to live with something that makes you uncomfortable or unhappy with yourself, and every year millions of people make the decision to fix whats bothering them. So what are the most popular cosmetic procedures? Lets discuss them, based on the statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons data from 2012:
1. Breast Augmentation. Breast augmentation remains the most popular cosmetic procedure, with over 286,000 performed in the U.S. in 2012 alone. A breast augmentation is a simple way to increase breast volume, whether you were born with small breasts or you lost volume after weight loss or pregnancy. A breast augmentation can increase confidence, help your clothes fit better, and give you a more balanced silhouette. Breast augmentations are also easily customizable- you can select the type of implant youre getting, or skip implants altogether and elect for a fat grafting procedure, where fat is removed from a spot where you dont want it and transferred to your breasts.
2. Nose Reshaping. Over 243,000 nose reshapings were performed in 2012. The procedure is especially popular among younger patients, since the nose you have once you reach adulthood is the one youre stuck with for most of your life. Gravity and aging wont affect it too much, so correcting any issues you have with your nose shape is a common choice among young plastic surgery patients. Nose reshaping, also known as rhinoplasty, can also be useful in correcting cosmetic issues caused by previous injuries to the nose.
3. Eyelid Surgery. Roughly 204,000 people elected to get eyelid surgery in 2012. Eyelid surgery can be used to rejuvenate the upper or lower eyelids (or both) through the removal of extra skin, drooping muscles, and fat that has drifted under the eyes, causing bagginess. As we age, gravity and lifestyle choices cause our skin to get droopy, and this can cause the upper eyelids to literally droop over the eye. It doesnt just look aging- it can impair vision. And if your lower eyelids droop or bag enough, it can expose the pink tissue under the eye, causing irritation. Eyelid surgery can help correct both issues.
4. Liposuction. Over 202,000 patients had liposuction in 2012. Liposuction is a versatile procedure that can be used to remove fat from almost any area of the body that is resistant to diet and exercise. Its commonly used to remove fat from the thighs, knees, abdomen, and hips. Liposuction can be combined with a number of other procedures, such as a tummy tuck or breast lift, to round out a Mommy makeover. Its important to be in otherwise good shape before liposuction because dramatic weight loss or gain afterwards can alter your results.
5. Facelift. About 126,000 people had a facelift in 2012. Facelifts are most popular with patients who are in their 40s or older, for whom less aggressive anti-aging techniques like BBL or chemical peels are not effective. Facelifts can be used to combat the appearance of deep lines and wrinkles, jowls, and sagging in the cheek area. Facelifts affect the area from the chin or upper neck to the lower eyelids. Mini-facelifts are also an option, and are used to lift just the lower areas of the face like the jowls or jawline. Mini-facelifts also have a smaller incision. Your surgeon will help you decide which version of the procedure is best for you.
There they are, the five most popular cosmetic surgical procedures last year! As you can see, the procedures reach across a range of cosmetic issues, from removing fat to correcting eyelid problems that can be both cosmetic and medical.
If you have any questions about these procedures, or about any other topic in cosmetic surgery, please call our office at (703) 574-2588. You can also come in for a free consultation!