Wrinkles are just one of the visible signs of aging, but they are the one that we most commonly associate with looking older. And while laser resurfacing, dermal fillers, and Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments are excellent options for fighting the appearance of wrinkles, there are also steps you can take at home to lessen their appearance.
1. Use sheer makeup. Heavy, cakey makeup tends to settle into wrinkles, making them look more obvious. Using a sheer foundation will give you coverage without that effect (and make sure youre using makeup with an SPF- sun damage is the first cause of wrinkles to begin with).
2. Exfoliate. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells from your face, stimulating new skin growth and softening the look of existing wrinkles. Exfoliation can be as simple as using a facial scrub from your favorite skincare brand two times a week.
3. Watch your glasses. Crows feet are most commonly caused by squinting, so be sure your eyeglasses or contacts have an up-to-date prescription and that youre not squinting when youre reading, or due to nearsightedness. If youre outdoors a lot, wear sunglasses to prevent you from squinting against the sun.
4. Sleep on your back. Sleeping with your face pressed into the pillow will eventually cause wrinkles to form due to the pressure. Sleeping on your back will prevent that. Satin pillow cases have also been shown to be less wrinkle-forming than other fabrics.
5. Dont yo-yo diet. Rapid weight gain and weight loss will stretch out the skin, making it lose its firmness, which in turn can cause wrinkles. Lose weight at a reasonable pace, and keep it off. This will keep your skin firm and taut.
6. Facial massage with coconut oil. Facial massage will relieve tension and boost elasticity of the skin, and coconut oil is a safe and natural moisturizer. Gently massage the oil into the spots where wrinkles are appearing every night before bedtime.
7. Quit smoking. Smoking can destroy the appearance of your skin: it causes yellowing and deep wrinkles around the eyes and mouth (due to squinting against the smoke and the sucking motion of the lips). When you quit smoking, you will notice very quick improvements in the appearance of wrinkles on your face, as well as improvement in your skin tone.
If you have any questions about skin care in Northern Virginia or would like to schedule a free skin care consultation, please call our offices at (703) 574-2588.